Grant Funding: Principle Investigator, two grants; Co-Principle Investigator, five grants; Clinical Mentor, one grant
Membership in Medical Societies: 19 Societies: International, nine; National, seven; Regional, three
Publications: Articles (refereed), 103; Articles (non-refereed), 26; Books and CDs, 10; Book Chapters, 43; Video Productions,
Selected Publications from the Last 25 Years:
US National Library of Medicine (NLM) PubMed
- Paley D, Young MC, Wiley AM, Fornasier VL, Jackson RW: Percutaneous bone marrow grafting of fractures and bony
defects: An experimental study in rabbits. Clin Orthop 208:300-312, 1986.
- Paley D: Current techniques of limb lengthening. J Pediatr Orthop 8:73-92, 1988.
- Paley D, Catagni MA, Argnani F, Villa A, Benedetti GB, Cataneo R: Ilizarov treatment of tibial nonunions with bone loss.
Clin Orthop 241:146-165, 1989.
- Paley D: Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening by the Ilizarov technique. Clin Orthop 250:81-104,
- Paley D, Chaudray M, Pirone AM, Lentz P, Kautz D: Treatment of malunions and mal-nonunions of the femur and tibia by
detailed preoperative planning and the Ilizarov techniques. Orthop Clin North Am 21:667-691, 1990.
- Paley D, Fleming B, Catagni M, Kristiansen T, Pope M: Mechanical evaluation of external fixators used in limb lengthening.
Clin Orthop 250:50-57, 1990.
- Villa A, Paley D, Catagni MA, Bell D, Cattaneo R: Lengthening of the forearm by the Ilizarov technique. Clin Orthop 250:
- Paley D, Tetsworth K: Percutaneous osteotomies: Osteotome and Gigli saw techniques. Orthop Clin North Am 22:613-
- Tetsworth K, Krome J, Paley D: Lengthening and deformity correction of the upper extremity by the Ilizarov technique.
Orthop Clin North Am 22:689-713, 1991.
- Paley D, Tetsworth K: Mechanical axis deviation of the lower limbs: Preoperative planning of multiapical frontal plane
angular and bowing deformities of the femur and tibia. Clin Orthop 280:65-71, 1992.
- Paley D, Tetsworth K: Mechanical axis deviation of the lower limbs: Preoperative planning of uniapical angular deformities
of the tibia or femur. Clin Orthop 280:48-64, 1992.
- Paley D: The correction of complex foot deformities using Ilizarov's distraction osteotomies. Clin Orthop 293:97-111,
- Paley D, Hall H: Intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus: A critical analysis of results and prognostic factors. J Bone Joint
Surg Am 75:342-354, 1993.
- Paley D, Herzenberg JE, Maar D, Tetsworth KT: Femoral lengthening by simultaneous external fixation and intramedullary
rodding. J Orthop Trauma 7:178, 1993.
- Chao EY, Neluheni EV, Hsu RW, Paley D: Biomechanics of malalignment. Orthop Clin North Am 25:379-386, 1994
- Fischgrund J, Paley D, Suter C: Variables affecting time to bone healing during limb lengthening. Clin Orthop 301:31-37,
- Herzenberg JE, Davis JR, Paley D, Bhave A: Mechanical distraction for treatment of severe knee flexion contractures. Clin
Orthop 301:80-88, 1994.
- Paley D, Bhatnagar J, Herzenberg JE, Bhave A: New procedures for tightening knee collateral ligaments in conjunction with
knee realignment osteotomy. Orthop Clin North Am 25:533-555, 1994.
- Paley D, Herzenberg JE, Tetsworth K, McKie J, Bhave A: Deformity planning for frontal and sagittal plane corrective
osteotomies. Orthop Clin North Am 25:425-465, 1994.
- Paley D, Maar DC, Herzenberg JE: New concepts in high tibial osteotomy for medial compartment osteoarthritis. Orthop
Clin North Am 25:483-498, 1994.
- Paley D, Herzenberg JE, Paremain G, Bhave A: Femoral lengthening over an intramedullary nail: A matched-case
comparison with Ilizarov femoral lengthening. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:1464-1480, 1997.
- Herzenerg JE, Paley D: Ilizarov management of clubfoot deformity in young children. Foot Ankle Clin 3:649-661, 1998.
- Bhave A, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: Improvement in gait parameters after lengthening for the treatment of limb-length
discrepancy. J Bone Joint Surg Am 81:529-534, 1999.
- De Deyne PG, Hayatsu K, Meyer R, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: Muscle regeneration and fiber-type transformation during
distraction osteogenesis. J Orthop Res 17:560-570, 1999.
- De Deyne PG, Meyer R, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: The adaptation of perimuscular connective tissue during distraction
osteogenesis. Clin Orthop 379:259-269, 2000.
- Paley D, Bhave A, Herzenberg JE, Bowen JR: Multiplier method for predicting limb-length discrepancy. J Bone Joint Surg
Am 82:1432-1446, 2000.
- Paley D, Maar DC: Ilizarov bone transport treatment for tibial defects. J Orthop Trauma 14:76-85, 2000.
- Sabharwal S, Paley D, Bhave A, Herzenberg JE: Growth patterns after lengthening of congenitally short lower limbs in
young children. J Pediatr Orthop 20:137-145, 2000.
- Paley D, Herzenberg JE: Intramedullary infections treated with antibiotic cement rods: preliminary results in nine cases. J
Orthop Trauma 16:723-729, 2002.
- Nogueira MP, Paley D, Bhave A, Herbert A, Nocente C, Herzenberg JE: Nerve lesions associated with limb-lengthening. J
Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1502-1510, 2003.
- Paley J, Talor J, Levin A, Bhave A, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: The multiplier method for prediction of adult height. J Pediatr
Orthop 24:732-737, 2004.
- Katsenis D, Bhave A, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: Treatment of malunion and nonunion at the site of an ankle fusion with the
Ilizarov apparatus. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:302–309, 2005.
- Paley J, Gelman A, Paley D, Herzenberg JE: The prenatal multiplier method for prediction of limb length discrepancy. Prenat
Diagn 25:435–438, 2005.
- Rozbruch SR, Paley D, Bhave A, Herzenberg JE: Ilizarov hip reconstruction for late sequelae of infantile hip infection. J
Bone Joint Surg Am 87:1007–1018, 2005.
- Lamm BM, Paley D, Testani M, Herzenberg JE: Tarsal tunnel decompression in leg lengthening and deformity correction of
the foot and ankle. J Foot Ankle Surg 46:201–206, 2007.
- Burghardt RD, Herzenberg JE, Standard SC, Paley D: Temporary hemiepiphyseal arrest using a screw and plate device to
treat knee and ankle deformities in children: a preliminary report. J Child Orthop 2:187–197, 2008.
- Paley D, Gelman A, Shualy MB, Herzenberg JE: Multiplier method for limb-length prediction in the upper extremity. J Hand
Surg Am 33:385–391, 2008.
- Paley D, Lamm BM, Purohit RM, Specht SC: Distraction arthroplasty of the ankle—how far can you stretch the indications?
Foot Ankle Clin 13:471–484, 2008.
- Thabet AM, Paley D, Kocaoglu M, Eralp L, Herzenberg JE, Ergin Periosteal grafting for congenital pseudarthrosis of the
tibia: a preliminary report. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Dec;466(12):2981-94, 2008.
- Paley D, Belthur M., Standard S: Ulnarization for Treatment of Radial Clubhand deformity. Submitted to J Bone Joint
- Herzenberg JE, Branfoot T, Paley D, Violante FH: Femoral nailing to treat fractures after lengthening for congenital femoral
deficiency in young children. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2010 Mar;19(2):150-4.
- Lamm BM, Gottlieb HD, Paley D: A two-stage percutaneous approach to charcot diabetic foot reconstruction. J Foot
Ankle Surg. 2010 Nov-Dec;49(6):517-22.
- Dror Paley: Introduction Guest editor. Oper Tech Orthop 21: 103, 2011
- Dror Paley: History and Science Behind the Six-Axis Correction External Fixation Devices in Orthopaedic Surgery. Oper
Tech Orthop Volume 21:125-128, 2011
- Monica Paschoal Nogueira, Dror Paley: Prophylactic and Therapeutic Peroneal Nerve Decompression for Deformity
Correction and Lengthening. Oper Tech Orthop 21:180-183, 2011
- Dror Paley: Intra-Articular Osteotomies of the Hip, Knee, and Ankle. Oper Tech Orthop 21:184-196, 2011
- Burghart R. Herzenberg JE, Paley D: Mechanical Failures of an Intramedullary Telescopic Nail for Limb Lengthening. J Bone
Joint Surg Br. 2011 May;93(5):639-43.
- Paley D: The treatment of femoral head deformity and coxa magna by the Ganz femoral head reduction osteotomy.
Orthop Clin North Am. 2011 Jul;42(3):389-99, viii. Epub 2011 May 14.
- Paley, D: Surgery for Residual Deformity in Adolescents, Orthop Clin North Am. 2012 Jul;43(3):317-28.
- Burghardt RD, Paley D, Specht SC, Herzenberg JE: The effect on mechanical axis deviation of femoral lengthening with an
intramedullary telescopic nail. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Sep;94(9):1241-5.
Scientific Meetings: Chairman, 35 meetings
Papers Presented: International, 1107, in 68 countries in six languages; National, 857 in the United States and Canada
Languages Spoken: English, French, Hebrew, Italian, Russian, Spanish
Short Curriculum Vitae PDF, 22 pages
Full Curriculum Vitae PDF, 118 page
Dror Paley, MD, FRCSC
|ORTHOPEDIC EDUCATIONAL SITE BY THE MOST
EXPERIENCED LIMB LENGTHENING SURGEON IN THE
Honorary Professor, University of Milano, Italy
Honorary Member, ASAMI-Italy
Honorary Member, ASAMI-France
Honorary Member, ASAMI-Great Britain
Honorary Member, Polish Orthopaedic Association
Honorary Member, Israel Orthopedic Association
University of Toronto
University of Toronto
Surgical: John Hopkins Hospital
Orthopaedic Surgery: University of Toronto Hospitals
Hand and Trauma: Sunnybrook Medical Centre, Toronto
Limb Lengthening: Italy and Soviet Union
Pediatric Orthopaedics: Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
AOA-COA North American Traveling Fellowship
Orthopaedic Residents Teaching Award
Gubernatorial Citation from Governor Schaefer
Pauwel’s Medal for Clinical Biomechanics
Jaqueline Perry Award, Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Association
SICOT Honorary Mention: Nerve Impairment with Limb Lengthening Procedures
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons First Place Winner for Pediatric Poster:
Lengthening Reconstruction Surgery for Fibular Hemimelia
POSNA Best Clinical Paper: Nerve Impairment with Limb Lengthening Procedures
Association of Medical Illustrators Award of Excellence:
Principles of Deformity Correction
POSNA Outstanding Scientific Poster
“Superhip Procedure for Correction of Hip Deformities of Congenital Femoral
POSNA Best Clinical Paper: Amputation vs Reconstruction for Fibular Hemimelia
Director, Paley Advanced Limb Lengthening Institute
Adjunct Professor University of Toronto
Staff Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hospital for Sick Children Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Professor, University of Vermont School of Medicine
Director, Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Sinai Hospital
Co-Director, International Center for Limb Lengthening, Sinai Hospital
Chief of Pediatric Orthopedics, University of Maryland
Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Maryland Medical School
Paley Institute Limb Reconstruction Fellowship Program
This UNIQUE fellowship is designed for orthopedic surgeons
interested in developing an expertise in pediatric and adult limb
reconstruction surgery of the lower and upper extremities.
For more information Click Here